Have you heard about UCO candle lanterns? In this modern age of rechargeable LED light sources, the thought of using a candle lamp seems like a big step backwards. Yet, this tried and tested natural light source that has many benefits over modern alternatives. It could even be your first grab-for item when there’s a power cut or when your planning your next weekend adventure. In this article, let’s shine a light (pardon the pun) on UCO candle lanterns.
What are UCO Candle Lanterns?
UCO candle lanterns are aluminium lanterns, used since the early 70’s, designed specifically for UCO’s own candles as a form of light and heat. They can be also be used with any regular candle that fits.
A wide range of lanterns are available from single tea-lights, collapsible versions, right up to, three large candle UCO varieties. This gives the option for more illumination, or a light time of up to 36 hours.
Benefits of Candle Lanterns
When compared to modern LED lighting, UCO Candle Lanterns have many benefits. This is not only for campers, but also for home use in a power cut or emergency.
No Need for Batteries
Many modern light sources rely on batteries, which have a tendency to suffer with colder temperatures, reducing the charge, and therefore reducing lighting times in cold environments. They can also suffer from the damp and wet conditions, which never mix well with electrical and electronic products. This can mean that on a weekend trip, you can never be sure of the amount of illumination time you have for certain weather conditions. Also, unless your lantern is fully waterproof, you are only one puddle away from a lack of a light source.
UCO lanterns come with a tried and tested system, with a spring loaded candle, allowing a constant flame height and a viewing slot, that allows views of the remaining burn time.
When it comes to light, there are even more benefits of UCO candle lanterns. Candles provide a softer, warmer glow over harsher LED lighting that is colder and complete with annoying blue wavelengths. Candle lanterns give a natural, warm, cosier glow, with plenty of light, to read or relax with. Also, thanks to its wind-proof glass chimney, you wont have to worry about it being blown out.
The real benefits of UCO candle lanterns come from the candle flame itself. Candles give a small, subtle heat to your environment, such as tents, helping to take off the initial chill and reducing that annoying damp and condensation we have all felt camping from time to time. They can be especially useful in damp conditions.
The benefits of the heat don’t stop there. The plate on top of the UCO candle lantern allows you to heat up small amounts of food, or drinks to almost boiling temperature. This is not enough to replace a stove, but a welcome addition from reheating that coffee mug as the evening passes.
Bear in mind, the outside of the housing will obviously get hot, so keep away from flammable materials until it has cooled. UCO candle lanterns come with a handle for hanging and carrying safely, for this reason.
When it comes to candle choices, UCO manufacture three types of candle:
- 9 hour standard candle.
- 9 hour citronella candle that releases a pleasant citronella aroma to help keep mosquitoes and other bugs at bay, especially while camping near water sources.
- 12-15 hour Beeswax candle, a cleaner, sustainable choice that gives off a natural sweet honey smell.
All the candles are designed to maximise burn time and reduce the soot build up over other candle manufacturers. If you select the three candle lantern option, that gives a possible burn time of between 27-36+ hours, with additional hours easily added by simply carrying a few extra candles in your backpack.
Finally, unlike battery lanterns or liquid or gas fuel types, UCO candle lanterns don’t need rechargeable battery maintenance charges. They won’t suffer from leaking battery acids or fuels, and could sit happily for years in your car or home, before quickly coming to life with a match or lighter at your convenience. They are a bulletproof light source!
Let’s look at the types of UCO candle lantern available:
UCO Original Collapsible Lantern
The UCO original single collapsible lantern is a great hiking and camping lantern and is small enough to carry in a backpack. It is also collapsible down to just 4.25 inches high.
- Provides warm, natural light.
- Collapsible lantern reduces to 4.25 inches tall.
- Lightweight, durable aluminium construction complete with a powder-coated finish.
- Safe, Reliable Lighting: Emergency lantern candle holder features a spring-loaded base for a steady burn.
- Carry handle, hanging hook and heat shield ensure safe hanging/transport.
- Windproof Construction: Survival candles burn even in wind with the easy-slide glass chimney.
- Includes a twist-lock, vented base that makes swapping candles easy.
UCO Three Candle Lantern
This bigger version of the UCO candle lantern has three candles, allowing a 27 hour burn time. You can adjust your light and heat by burning two or three candles together.
This is the best candle lantern for those who need more light and are happy with the larger physical size.
- Three 9-hour candles in spring-loaded candle tubes for extra light and warmth or extra burn time.
- Aluminium construction.
- Candles burn even in wind with the easy-slide glass chimney.
- Includes a twist-lock, vented base that makes swapping candles easy, a convenient carrying handle, and hanging hook.
- Spring-loaded base for a steady burn.
UCO Mini Candle Lantern Kit 2.0
The Mini UCO Candle Lantern is for those wanting a small package that can utilise tea-light candles.
- Mini Lantern, x3 original tea lights, carry case.
- Lightweight, durable aluminium candle lantern with powder-coated finish.
- Can also be used with beeswax and citronella candles.
- Heatproof base, glass heat shield and hanging hook.
- Easy-slide glass chimney creates a windproof environment for the candle.
Additional Candles for UCO Lanterns
Extra candles can be bought separately for UCO candle lanterns. Here’s some options:
Candle lanterns are a popular choice, and for good reason. They are highly portable, provide light and heat, and are useful for helping take condensation off the inside of a tent when camping. They are also fantastic gift ideas for any outdoor enthusiast!