Anyone who has been outdoors in the cold can remember their hands being next to useless when numb with cold. Trying to tie a shoe lace, swipe a phone, or operate a fiddly camera is never easy when your fingers are freezing! Rechargeable hand warmers make a huge difference, not only to your hands but they warm up other parts of your body too.
Why Choose Rechargeable Hand Warmers?
Modern rechargeable hand warmers are a real game changers compared to the old disposable gel or fuel filled types (think lighter fluid or charcoal sticks). The versatility of the latest hand warmers means they can be switched on and heat up in seconds. They last for hours, can be adjusted for a comfortable temperature and, unlike the heaters of old, can be switched off whenever they are not needed.
Rechargeable hand warmers don’t come with the hassle of trying to light (or relight) charcoal sticks when you are out in the field, or have the risks of carrying spare lighter fluid with you in your supplies.
As well as providing warmth to your extremities, rechargeable hand warmers can be a much needed relief for those with Raynaud’s disease, easing those cold, white numb fingers. They can also help those with rheumatoid arthritis in the hands, wrists or other painful joints.
Though described as ‘hand warmers’ they can be popped into any pocket to add soothing warmth as you go about your activity. I personally use a hand warmer in my inside coat pocket to keep my body toasty, then pop it out when my hands get too cold.
Are Hand Warmers Worth It?
Beyond their primary use for keeping your hands warm on that hike or camping trip, many rechargeable hand warmers also double up as a battery pack. This means you can recharge your mobile or other small electronics out in the field. They also have great battery sizes that mean power and usability for a lot longer than you’d expect.
The initial prices do seem a little more expensive compared to disposable gel, or the old fuel varieties. But, when you factor in the costs of replacement fuels and the inability to switch them off, it makes perfect sense to go rechargeable. You will not only save money in the long-term, but also the environmental costs of fuels and continued manufacturing of disposables.
When buying a hand warmer, you need to consider the battery life, the heat times and adjust-ability of temperatures for your needs. All handwarmers listed below have at least 7 hours of heat, with the larger going up to 18 hours on the lowest heat setting.
Rechargeable hand warmers are an ideal Christmas or birthday gift for an outdoor enthusiast, family member, or a much need treat for yourself on your next outdoor hiking or camping adventure. Add a little comfort to your outdoor pursuits and a welcome back up for your electronics for when they run low on power, giving you that extra peace of mind.
Let’s look at some of the best rechargeable hand warmers:
- This warmer has a massive 10000mAh battery, allowing up to 15 of hours of heat.
- Only takes 3-4hours to fully charge.
- Charges your iPhone to 50% in 30mins.
- There are three precise, chip-controlled temperature settings at the press of a button (from 35 Celsius to 55 Celsius).
- Smooth, comfortable, double sided heater and silicon cornered anti-drop case.
- Available in a range of colours.
- Included is a USB-C to USB-A cable, travel pouch and user manual.
- Dimensions: 16.5 x 4.6 x 10 cm; 310 grams.
- The FVSA has a massive10000mAh battery, allowing up to 18 hours of chip controllable, smart safe heat.
- It can be used to charge your phone.
- Comes with a choice of three settings (from 40 Celsius to 60 Celsius).
- Light up state of charge display.
- 7 colour adjustable breathing lights and a base colour of either black or pink.
- Double sided heater and silicon corner protected anti-drop case.
- It comes with a wrist strap, USB cable, travel case and user manual.
- Dimensions: 14.7 x 8.9 x 4.5 cm; 279 grams.
- The lightest warmer on this list, the Awroutdoor has a 9000mAh battery but still has a 7-14 hours of heat time.
- 3-4 hour recharge time.
- Charge a typical mobile phone to 50% in 30 minutes.
- There are 3 stable chip controlled temperature settings (from 35 Celsius to 55 Celsius)
- 3 second fast heat up process.
- It’s available in black or green.
- Comes with a wrist strap, USB cable, travel case and user manual.
- Dimensions: 13.8 x 8.8 x 5 cm; 160 grams.
- The Zippo Heatbank is the most expensive on this list, and has the smallest battery at 5200mAh of the 4, but still has an up to 9hr heat time.
- It has the ability to charge phones or other devices via its USB connector.
- 6 options when it comes to temperature controls (up to 50 Celsius) allowing either one or both sides to be heated to 3 different temperatures.
- Available in black, silver or gold colours.
- It comes with a wrist strap, USB cable and user manual.
- Dimensions: 17 x 9.2 x 3.4 cm; 210 grams.
Rechargeable hand warmers are a great outdoor gadget that will keep you warm when hiking, fishing, camping, and much more. If you are looking for outdoor gifts, they are also ideal. Hand warmers have come a long way and with the added feature of being able to recharge phones, it adds even more benefits to owning one.