Are you looking for a great pair of trail running shoes for wide feet? Then you’ve come to the right place! If you’re an avid runner, you know that finding the perfect shoe is essential, especially if you want to have an enjoyable run. And if you have wider feet, the search can be even more challenging. But don’t worry – there are plenty of great wide fit trail running shoes out there. Here’s why you should consider them:
Trail Running and the Challenges to your Feet
Trail running is a type of running that takes place on trails rather than roads. It is an exhilarating way to experience the outdoors and can also be enjoyed by people of all levels of fitness. Unlike road running, it involves navigating a variety of terrain that can include rocks, mud, hills and roots. This means your feet and your running shoes will be put through their paces, and also exposed to wetness and off-road conditions. For those with wide feet, this can lead to squashed toes, blisters, nail injuries and more.
Why should you choose a pair of wide fit trail running shoes?
If you have wide feet, a good pair of trail running shoes will provide traction and support, and also provide a more comfortable and stable run. This is especially crucial for runners who want to avoid injuries. With the extra room, you’ll be able to go further and run faster without worrying about your feet.
With a wide fit, you won’t have to worry about your shoes being too tight or rubbing against your skin. Instead, you’ll be able to focus on your run and enjoy the scenery.
The main thing to look for in wide fit trail running shoes is a wide toe box. As a result, this will allow your feet and toes to naturally spread as you run each step.
Here is our guide to the best men’s and best women’s trail running shoes for wide feet.
The Best Wide Fit Trail Running Shoes for Women
Merrell Long Sky
Roomy and comfortable, these Merrell Sky trail running shoes, offer plenty of room for wide feet and are also a stylish design you’ll love. They have all the features needed for both beginners and experts on a variety of off-road terrain.
- Lightweight, tear-resistant fabric.
- Mid-zone arch.
- Vibram Megagrip rubber sole.
- Standard lacing.
- Back made of moulded TPU for added stability.
- Reflective for better visibility in low light.
- Comes in half sizes for a perfect fit.
Altra Lone Peak 6
When looking for wide fit trail running shoes, you have to love Altra! With their uniquely shaped footbed, you can be sure your toes have room to spread. Maybe that’s why Altra won the RUNNER’S WORLD 2022 Award for Best Trail Shoe!
- Tough quick-dry mesh on the upper has improved breathability and also helps keep you feeling light on your feet.
- Drain Pots – Enhances water flow for quick drying.
- Foot-shaped Toe Box – Promotes natural toe spread for better performance and stability.
- Trimmed Upper: Lightened and made more flexible.
- Stone Guard – Uses less material while providing protection where it is needed.
- EGO midsole for cushioning and flexibility while out on the trail.
- Stack height of 25mm.
- Variety of colour options.
Due to the toe-shaped foot-bed, Altra are some of the best trail running shoes for wide feet. Check the latest price.
Salomon XA Pro 3D for Women
Salomon are a well known brand that make excellent trail running shoes. The roomy toe box makes these a great option for wide feet. It’s also recommended to order a full size bigger, to ensure the perfect fit for the trail.
- Ortholite midsole provides cushioning and comfort on all terrain.
- Contragrip outsoles give you confidence in their grip and durability.
- Tongue cover gives protection against stones and other debris from entering the shoe.
- Breathable mesh upper keeps your feet cool and allows for rapid drying.
- Quicklace system makes the easy to put on and take off, while the asymmetrical lacing system provides a personalised fit for your foot.
While these Salomon XA Pro’s are not especially designed for a wider foot, many reviews say they are comfortable for those with wider feet provided you go a size up. Check the latest price.
The Best Wide Fit Trail Running Shoes for Men
New Balance Men’s Dynasoft Nitrel V4
These New Balance trail running shoes for wide feet come in wide and x-wide fittings, so no matter how much your feet spread, you will find a good fit.
- DynaSoft midsole gives good cushioning on rock, road, gravel and more.
- AT Tread outsole provides traction that is suitable for a variety of terrain.
- The textile and engineered mesh upper is breathable and gives ventilation, and also allow allows for quick drying.
- Lots of colour options.
- Wide and extra-wide fit sizes.
These New Balance trail runners are excellent value for money. For the price, you get wide fit trail running shoes that are both comfortable and durable. Check the latest price.
Altra TIMP 4 for Men
Due to the toe-shaped foot-bed design, Altra trail running shoes are great for wide feet. They allow the toes to spread naturally with each step, providing a comfortable run.
- Made with multi-directional mesh that flexes and moves with the foot.
- Breathable: For a healthy environment, cool air permeates the fabric.
- Toes are naturally encouraged to spread apart by the FootShape Toe Box, which increases comfort and stability.
- Upgraded Lacing System for a more personal and secure fit.
- Reduced risk of irritation from rubbing and chafing because of the padded tongue.
Great all round train running shoes for wide feet, Altra TIMP comes in a choice of colours and sizes. Check the latest price.
ASICS Gel-Venture 8
Asics have used their prowess in the world or running to produce wide fit trail running shoes for men. These Gel Venture 8 shoes come in standard and extra wide fittings, as well as many colours!
- Mesh uppers allow air to ciculate, helping to create a healthy envrionment for your feet.
- EVA Midsole keeps the shoe lightweight, while providing comfort and cushioning on off-road terrain.
- Rear GEL cushioning system to lessen shock on the joints.
- Rubber outsole provides grip, while being durable and resistant to scratches.
It’s always good when you discover a pair of wide fit trail running shoes, and these class design by ASICS will see you conquering the toughest trails with happy feet! Check the latest price.
If you are looking for wide fitting trail running shoes for women or men, you might also be on the hunt for wide fit hiking boots. Whether running or hiking, getting the right fit for wide feet is essential to your enjoyment of the great outdoors, so doing a little research before purchasing is essential. Get the right footwear and you are ready to take on those trails and reach your fitness goals.